Thursday, October 09, 2008

Am I just making this up?

I took the time to think about what compels me. They are:

  • Music & writing: Singing, writing, song-writing, performing, dancing, composing, etc.
  • Art & photography.
  • Dance.
  • Learning about the human body, especially the brain.
  • Seeing people in lab coats mixing chemicals, testing (no animal testing!), and solving the purpose or defect and how or why it works they way it does.


Art and science compels me.

The arts have always compelled me and stirred something inside of me. I am in a zone of unlimited creativity and fresh air. This is the time I feel the world at peace. My mind at ease and my soul open to life and void. I tell life and void to "come hither."

Science-- especially chemistry, biology, and physical science-- intellectually stimulates me. I get a "high" from it. I have always enjoyed it, and I remember coming home from school and someone asks me how was my day or what did I learn. What I learned in science is usually the topic of my day, and I enjoy telling it and making my own theories or whatnot.


What have I done with them, so far?
As for the arts: I still write poetry. I still sing, although my voice is not to par as it was when I had lessons. The flow in my "dance" is emerging from many years I have buried it. I do not write songs, anymore; I started playing the guitar after not playing for two years. I'm playing the violin, again. I'm starting to feel inspired to take pictures as I used to. I have not performed in years.

As for science: I always had a talent in science. In addition, I have been to the Body World Exhibit (I love it) over the summer. My friend bought me the Gray's Anatomy book by Henry Gray. I watch the science channel, especially when it is about the brain and nervous system. I read up on it as often as I can. I was looking into neurosurgery-- too pricey, and I need a lot of time to engross myself into it. I am interested in neuro-radiology, and that is where I am now.


Three steps to make my "passion" central in my life:

  1. Make some type of "art" a habit everyday.
  2. Study the brain and nervous system.
  3. Have "science" become my major in college; in addition, be involved in a "creative" club or class (therefore, I will be surrounded by like-minded people).

No comments: