Monday, January 05, 2009

"That's life."

I deeply dislike that phrase. It is saying- I am going to let it be, I give up, I am not happy, there is nothing you or I can do about it, etc.

When I was young, I used this phrase often with my parents, and to others who can relate. I realize one thing I felt as I said it-- there is nothing you, I, or we can do about it. I see how easily I, and others, give up.

This time, I am tired of hearing that. It does not make things better. It is a destined failure on top of our pessimism.

Last night as I came home, I was unexpectedly hit with doubt, anger, and failure; hence, I looked for apartments until three in the morning.
As I woke, something changed in my attitude. "I am not going to let this bring me down- as I have let others," "It is not the destination, as admirable as it is to succeed with your goals, it is the journey that is significant and satisfying," and, "I will not be going through this unless I can handle it."
I thrive for personal power guided by grace. I will not let this stop me. I will not let this stop me from going to school.

I embraced those negative and uncomfortable feelings last night, and this morning, I renounced them and my present situation, along with others that will be coming and felt deeply driven to persevere.

Life is what we make it. To say, "That's life," is an easy way out of a problem and in my opinion leads to unhappiness. I choose to be happy. I am choosing to surrender, to act, and to have faith. That is the best thing I can do at my age. I will put my trust in my parents. I believe things will work out. I will move-in with them when they come down. It will work out.

No comments: