Monday, April 23, 2007

In the past, I have taken ballet, tap, gymnastics, and hip-hop. My mother put me in to these classes at a young age, or as she said, since I began walking.

Whether it is noticeable or not, dancing is a big part of my life.

I deeply regret not continuing these more than anything else...
One day in ballet class, when I was six years old, for some unknown reason, I told my mother I do not want to do it anymore. Again, thinking back to what I was doing and when that thought occurred seems unreal to me. Honestly, I do not remember what brought that thought up, in fact- I did not even think about it! Those awful words just came out.

Three years later, I entered hip-hop; however, I did not stay long since my family and I keep moving.

Perhaps that is the reason those words came out. Perhaps some kind of spirit opened my mouth and spoke from my chords.

I was always moving.

Therefore, after asking if I really wanted to quit, (ballet, tap, and gymnastics) my mother had taken me out of the school. This was the time when my mother and my step dad moved in together; this was the beginning of our life and the end of a short story.

From ten years old to fourteen, I danced along to music, imitated dancers on TV and from people I have met at school.

Then high school came and I was not dancing as much as I did before. Sophomore year came I did not dance at all.

Now, I am 19 years old, and I regret not trying hard enough to do what I love.
I watch these dancers now on TV and the internet and two months ago, I began dancing. However, my body does not feel fluid, graceful, and powerful. This is my mistake...

I have a list of regrets and this is the one I regret the most.

I cannot be like that dancer I was, and better.

I will never forget that day when I quit.

No comments: